The research chair is designed to help strengthen mathematical higher education and research in Africa, promote networking between AIMS Senegal and German higher education institutions and support networking amongst the various AIMS centres in Africa.
The successful candidate will be expected to live and work in Senegal. A joint appointment at a university in Senegal is planned. The Humboldt Foundation will evaluate the chair holder after three years of funding. A long-term establishment of the research chair at AIMS Senegal independent of BMBF funding is intended.
The research chair will receive funding of up to 835,000 euros for initially six years.
The call for the German Research Chair at AIMS Senegal is advertised internationally. Applications may be submitted by academics who
- have completed a doctorate and have at least three years of teaching experience, including experience in supervising university students
- have an outstanding, internationally recognised research record
- are active in international scientific networks and collaborations
- have experience in scientific capacity building (research and teaching)
- conduct research in the field of mathematics and its applications and welcome the challenge of cooperating with other fields inside and outside academia
- conduct application-relevant research and are thereby able to contribute to the development of Africa
- already have or will establish a scientific cooperation with a German institution of higher education The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation explicitly welcomes applications from qualified female academics.
Applications have to be submitted online. Expert reviews and a statement of the collaborative partner in Germany must be uploaded by their authors directly to the online application form. The deadline for submitting applications is 1 April 2022.