The aim of the visit is to initiate research collaboration between African and German scientists with the ultimate goal of developing longer-term links, perhaps through other Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, or German Research Foundation) programmes. DFG will cover health insurance, travel expenses and provide subsistence costs for the stay in Germany. The administration and financial operation of TWAS is undertaken by UNESCO in accordance with an agreement signed by the two organizations.
- Applicants must hold a PhD and must have obtained it not earlier than 2014;
- Applicants must be nationals of a sub-Saharan African country, including South Africa, and hold a research position in sub-Saharan African country.
- Applicants already on site in Germany or with an established collaboration with the intended host are not eligible.
- Previous receipients of a TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visit cannot reapply. For a second visit, the German host can apply for funding under the DFG Initiation of International Collaboration Programme.
- All academic fields will be considered.
Application Deadline is the 1st of April 2019. Applicants must complete the online application form on the webpage of TWAS.