Fostering German-Ukrainian Academic Cooperation and Building a Stronger Europe Together
Marking the 30th Anniversary of the Independence of Ukraine and the 70th Anniversary of the Institute for Eastern European Studies at Freie Universität Berlin this event is organized by the FU Berlin and chaired by Prof. Theocharis Grigoriadis, Institute for East European Studies at FU Berlin, in cooperation with the German-Ukrainian Academic Society and is supported by the DAAD from the funds of the BMBF.
This event is currently planned in a presence format for all participants and speakers who are able to travel to Berlin to encourage networking and direct communication. However, for those, who could not join in person, including some speakers, a possibility to join via live stream will be offered.
This scientific networking conference offers for the first time an excellent exchange platform for German-Ukrainian cooperation in higher education, science, and research in Berlin and Brandenburg. The highlights of German-Ukrainian academic projects and Ukrainian Studies research in the region will be presented. In addition, a comprehensive range of information on relevant funding opportunities from both German and EU funding organizations will provide valuable information to support future German-Ukrainian projects. Thus, this event will foster German-Ukrainian academic exchange and cooperation.
This event is aimed at scientists, researchers and entrepreneurs from Germany, especially Berlin and Brandenburg, and Ukraine who are already engaged in scientific exchange or are interested in establishing new collaborations. Furthermore, it will also be of interest to the general public.
Registration is open until 20 August.
Program open to all interested participants includes:
Thursday, 16th September (8:30 – 21:00)
- Info-Session I “Highlights of the German-Ukrainian academic cooperation” (in English)
- Info-Session II “Ukrainistik-Forschung und andere Ukraine-bezogene Initiativen in Berlin und Brandenburg/ Ukrainian Studies Research and other Ukrainerelated initiatives in Berlin and Brandenburg” (in German)
- Final of the 5th UKRAINET PhD Thesis Presentation Contest (in English, see the list of the finalists). This PhD Contest is supported by the Embassy of Ukraine and sponsored by Nomad Bioscience GmbH.
- Keynote Lecture "Beyond the Gates of Europe: Placing Ukraine in the Framework of European History", given by Prof. Dr. Serhii Plokhii, Mykhailo S. Hrushevs'kyi Professor for Ukrainian History/ Director of the Ukrainian Research Institute, Harvard University (in English, Live-Stream).
- Networking Get-Together
Friday, 17th September (9:30 – 13:30)
- Info-Session III & Discussion “Funding opportunities to support German-Ukrainian cooperation in science, research and higher education” (in English).
- Networking Lunch.
- The open event will be followed by the Annual Meeting of the members of the German-Ukrainian Academic Society, which will take place on Fridays the 17th of September (14:00 – 17:00).