The report identifies the following current developments and challenges:
- R&I policy in the new legislative period,
- Tackling climate targets vigorously,
- Catching up and avoiding technological gaps,
- Strengthening the skilled labour supply through education and qualification,
- Increasing innovation participation,
- Developing agile governance structures;
and provides recommendations on these core topics for 2022:
- Key enabling technologies and technological sovereignty,
- Motorized private transport on the road to sustainability,
- Innovations in the platform economy,
- Digital transformation in the healthcare system.
The Commission of Experts for Research and Innovation (Expertenkommission Forschung und Innovation - EFI) advises the German Federal Government and presents an annual report on research, innovation and technological performance in Germany. A key task is to provide a comprehensive analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the German innovation system in an international and temporal comparison. Furthermore, Germany's perspectives as a location for research and innovation are evaluated on the basis of the latest research findings. The EFI presents proposals for national research and innovation policy.