The report identifies the following current developments and challenges:
- R&I policy at a turning point in history
- Creating agile governance structures
- Tackling the grand societal challenges
- Catching up and avoiding technological gaps
- Removing barriers to innovation
- Securing the skilled labour base
and provides recommendations on these core topics for 2023:
- Innovation in an ageing society
- Markets for technology
- German aerospace between old and new space
At present, the full report is available in German only; an English summary is already available.
The Commission of Experts for Research and Innovation (Expertenkommission Forschung und Innovation - EFI) advises the German Federal Government and presents an annual report on research, innovation and technological performance in Germany. A key task is to provide a comprehensive analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the German innovation system in an international and temporal comparison. Furthermore, Germany's perspectives as a location for research and innovation are evaluated on the basis of the latest research findings. The EFI presents proposals for national research and innovation policy.