The EU H2020 funded INTERACT (International Network for Terrestrial Research and Monitoring in the Arctic) project opens a call for research groups to apply for Transnational Access to 43 research stations across the Arctic and northern alpine and forest areas in Europe, Russia and North-America. The sites where access can be applied represent a variety of glacier, mountain, tundra, boreal forest, peatland and freshwater ecosystems, providing opportunities for researchers from natural sciences to human dimension.
The Transnational Access includes free access (either physical or remote) for user groups/users to research facilities and field sites, including support for travel and logistic costs.
The call for applications is open until 18th December 2016 for transnational access taking place between March 2017 and April 2018.
A user group (=research group that applies for access to one or more research stations) eligible for TA must satisfy the following conditions:
- The user group leader and the majority of the users must work in a country other than the country(ies) where the installation is located. In other words, a user cannot get access to an infrastructure/installation that is located in the same country where he/she works.
- There should not be a corresponding infrastructure in the country hosting the institution employing the user group’s leader. If such an infrastructure exists, the applicant should show how the specific conditions of the requested visit cannot be met by this national infrastructure.
- Only user groups that are allowed to disseminate the results they have generated under the action may benefit from the access, unless the users are working for SME’s.
- Access can only be granted to user groups to conduct research, not for arranging or attending courses, conferences, seminars or workshops.
- Access to user groups with a majority of users not working in EU or associated countries is limited to 20% of the total amount of units of access provided under the grant. This is monitored and possible restrictions are set if the limit is close to be exceeded.
- The maximum amount of access granted to one user group during the project period is 3 months.