The Ministry of Science in Montenegro has been given responsibility for overall educational and scientific policy in Montenegro.
The Department for Science and Higher Education within the Ministry is in charge of scientific research activities, as well as higher education, taking responsibility for the following tasks:
- implementation of policies in the field of scientific research activities and higher education
- representation of the Ministry in national, regional and international organisations
- implementation of international agreements and programmes
- financing and supporting scientific research activities
- preparation and announcement of scientific research funding opportunities
- evaluation and assessment of funding applications
- promotion of technology transfer and innovation as an instrument for the valorisation of research results in the social and economic environment
- promotion of effective cooperation and new networking between scientific institutions and companies (business sector) to increase the innovative- and service output and competitiveness of Montenegrin companies
- and stimulation of the business sector to invest in RTD&I (fiscal politics).