The Academy of Sciences of Moldova, in its role of the highest scientific forum of the country, represents the only public institution of national interest in the sphere of science and innovation, is a plenipotentiary coordinator of scientific and innovation activity, scientific consultant of the public authorities of the Republic of Moldova, has an autonomous statute and acts on the basis of self-administration principles.
The main directions of activity of the Academy of Sciences in the quality of public institution of national interest in the sphere of science and innovation are the following:
- elaboration and promotion of the strategy of the sphere of science and innovation development,
- realization of state policy and development of conceptual activity in the sphere of science and innovation;
- identification of strategic directions of the sphere of science and innovation development;
- organization and realization of fundamental scientific researches, elaboration of advanced technologies and new techniques;
- organization of elaboration of concepts, state programmes and projects, international scientific and technical-scientific programmes and of the mechanisms of their realization, as well as of those for stimulating the implementation of scientific researches results in the national economy;
- organization of the activity for the elaboration of syntheses regarding the tendencies of social-economic, technological, and human country development, as well as the prognoses for the sphere of science and innovation development;
- distribution of budget allocations, according to the strategic directions of the sphere of science and innovation development;
- training of scientific personnel of high qualification, supporting and promotion of the autochthonous scientific schools and of scientific and cultural national and world values;
- supporting and promotion of the relations of scientific collaboration on internal and external level and of the activity of cooperation and integration in the European and world sphere.
One of the strategic priorities of the A.S.M. activity is the development and consolidation of scientific international relations, maintenance of bilateral relations with the Academy of Sciences and scientific organizations from many countries, agreements of scientific collaboration being concluded and actions of integration in the European scientific sphere and in world scientific community being promoted.