The Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts (SASA), founded in 1938, is the supreme national institution of sciences and arts. SASA cultivates, encourages and promote sciences and arts, through its activities, contributes to the development of scientific thought and creativity in the arts, particularly by:
- addressing basic issues of sciences and arts
- participating in establishing the policies of research activities and artistic creation
- giving appraisals, proposals and opinions on the position, development and promotion of sciences and arts, and on the organization of research activities and artistic creation
- organizing research work, also in cooperation with universities and other research institutions, particularly in the fields crucial for raising awareness of and gaining insight into the natural and cultural heritage of the Slovenian nation and for the development of its language and culture, and
- developing international cooperation in the field of sciences and arts.