Biodiversa+, the new co-funded biodiversity partnership – jointly developed by its predecessor BiodivERsA and the European Commission (DG Environment and DG Research & Innovation) officially started in October 2021.
Being a part of the European Biodiversity Strategy for 2030 to build the bridge between science, policy and practice, Biodiversa+ gathers 75 research programmers and funders and environmental policy actors from 37 European and associated countries to work on 5 main objectives:
- Plan and support research and innovation on biodiversity through a shared strategy, annual joint calls for research projects and capacity building activities
- Set up a network of harmonised schemes to improve monitoring of biodiversity and ecosystem services across Europe
- Contribute to high-end knowledge for deploying Nature-based Solutions and valuation of biodiversity in the private sector
- Ensure efficient science-based support for policy-making and implementation in Europe
- Strengthen the relevance and impact of pan-European research on biodiversity in a global context.