The Ministry of Education was established under the Civil Service Law 327 and under the PNDC Law 1993 with the mandate to provide relevant education to all Ghanaians. The Ministry is committed to put in place an education system focused on promoting creativity and problem-solving through the development of academics, technical and vocational programmes that will improve the acquisition of skills and assure job-market readiness.
For the purpose of achieving its objective, the Ministry performs the following functions:
- Initiate and formulate policy options on Education for the consideration of government
- Initiate and advise on government plans
- Undertake such research as maybe necessary for the effective implementation of government policies
- Review government policies and plans
- Coordinate and monitor the implementation of sector policies and strategies.