The Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) is part of the Ministry of Science and Technology, which was announced through a Presidential Notification, dated January 4, 1985.
DSIR has a mandate
- to promote R&D by the industries,
- to support a larger cross section of small and medium industrial units to develop state-of-the art globally competitive technologies of high commercial potential,
- to catalyze faster commercialization of lab-scale R&D,
- to enhance the share of technology intensive exports in overall exports,
- and to strengthen industrial consultancy & technology management capabilities.