The Ministry of Research, Technology, & Higher Education is a result of merger between the Directorate General of Higher Education and the Ministry of Research & Technology. Previously the Directorate General of Higher Education was governed by the Ministry of Education & Culture.
The Ministry of Research, Technology & Higher Education coordinates private and state universities, and other non-ministerial government agencies such as the
- Nuclear Energy Agency (BAPETEN)
- National Nuclear Energy Agency (BATAN)
- Agency for the Assessment & Application of Technology (BPPT)
- National Standardisation Agency of Indonesia (BSN)
- National Institute of Aeronautics and Space (LAPAN)
- Indonesian Institute of Science (LIPI).
The Ministry of Research, Technology, & Higher Education policy goals are as follows:
1. Increase the number of educated and skilled work force having higher education
2. Enhance the quality for higher education provider and R&D institution
3. Increase the number of qualified resource within R&D and higher education
4. Improve productivity of research and development; and
5. Advance nations capability in innovation.