The Federal Ministry of Education was established in 1988 and is part of the Federal Ministries of Nigeria that directs education.
Its functions include:
- Formulating a national policy on education.
- Collecting and collating data for purposes of educational planning and financing.
- Maintaining uniform standards of education throughout the country.
- Controlling the quality of education in the country through the supervisory role of the Inspectorate Services Department within the Ministry.
- Harmonizing educational policies and procedures of all the states of the federation through the instrumentality of the National Council on Education.
- Effecting co-operation in educational matters on an international scale.
- Developing curricula and syllabuses at the national level in conjunction with other bodies.
- Tertiary Education
- Basic and Secondary Education
- Technology and Science
- Federal Education Quality Assurance Service
- Educational Planning, Research and Development
- Information and Communication Technology
- Internal Audit
- Human Resources Management
- Finance and Accounts
- Federal Scholarship
- Reform Coordination and Service Improvement
- Education Support Service