The Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR) was created in 1992 by decree #426 of the President of the Russian Federation “On urgent measures for preserving scientific and technological potential of the Russian Federation”. It is a self-governed state nonprofit organisation in the form of a federal organisation controlled by the Government of the Russian Federation.
Being a representative of the state, the Foundation provides targeted diversified support to leading groups of scientists regardless of the organisation they represent.
Scientific directions supported by the Foundation are:
- mathematics, mechanics, and information technology;
- physics and astronomy;
- chemistry and studies of materials;
- biology and medical science;
- Earth science;
- humanities and social sciences;
- information technology and computer systems;
- fundamental basics of engineering sciences.