Also, the Portal "Study in Russia" offers information on universities that are funded under Project 5-100 (Website Universities-Study in Russia).
The Russian Academic Excellence Initiative was launched in May 2013. The objective of Project 5-100 is that by 2020 no less than five Russian Higher Education Institutions enter the Top-100 of the world-leading educational center rankings (e.g. QS, Times Higher Education). Higher education institutions were selected on a competitive basis in 2013 and 2015 to receive state support. 21 leading Russian universities are involved in the Project, which aims to
- strengthen the research capacity of Russian universities,
- actively promote the national higher education system in key markets,
- integrate education, entrepreneurship and innovation,
- internationalise all fields of activity of universities, and
- achieve infrastructural improvements to attract the best researchers, lecturers, administrators, and students.
The Lomonosov Moscow State University (MSU) and the Saint Petersburg University (SPbU), which are awarded special status, have not been included into Project 5-100.