The Directorate for Standards, Metrology and Quality of Viet Nam (STAMEQ) is a governmental agency under the Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST), having responsibility for advising the Government and MOST on the state management in the fields of standardization, metrology and quality.
The main functions and duties of STAMEQ are to:
- prepare and submit national policies, strategies, master plans, programs, projects and legal documents on standardization, metrology and quality of products and goods to appropriate authorities for approval
- organize, prepare and appraise draft national standards; developing international standards
- develop, maintain and utilize national measurement standards; manage legal metrology
- coordinate with other authorities and preside over examination of quality of products and goods manufactured domestically, imported or circulated on the domestic market under MOST responsibility
- manage conformity assessment activities (including accreditation) and conformity assessment bodies operating in Viet Nam
- provide calibration, testing, inspection, certification and other activities: notification and enquiry points for TBT issues, National Quality Award, productivity, bar-coding and numbering