The African Development Bank (AfDB) joins forces with the Association for the Development of Education in Africa (ADEA), the African Union Commission (AUC), UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), and UNESCO to organize a Regional Forum on “Education and Training for Science, Technology and Innovation (STI)” in Africa, to be held in Nairobi, Kenya from November 9-12, 2011.
This regional forum of exchange of knowledge and ideas in STI has the following objectives:
- Learn about progress made by African countries since the last Global STI Forum held in 2009;
- Present existing knowledge on best practices in promoting STI for inclusive growth and social development in Africa;
- Support RMCs by providing a forum for the exchange of knowledge and ideas on STI, bringing together key stakeholders and experts in the field to present latest research and programs;
- Build networks between governments, private sector, higher education and research institutions within Africa and globally;
- Learn about status of national STI action plans, leverage the work of development partners and prepare the ground to help African countries implement their STI action plans;
- Explore possible operations for the promotion of STI that could be funded by AfDB and other development partners;
- Foster regional cooperation on STI among higher education institutions to cater to an increasingly demand-driven education system.