The National Strategic Computing Initiative (NSCI) is a whole-of-Nation effort to sustain and enhance U.S. leadership in high-performance computing (HPC). The NSCI seeks to accomplish five strategic objectives in a government collaboration with industry and academia:
- accelerate the successful deployment and application of capable exascale computing;
- ensure that new technologies support coherence in data analytics as well as simulation and modeling;
- explore and accelerate new paths for future computing architectures and technologies, including digital computing and alternative computing paradigms;
- holistically expand capabilities and capacity of a robust and enduring HPC ecosystem;
- establish an enduring public-private collaboration to ensure shared benefit across government, academia, and industry.
This Strategic Plan focuses on areas where government engagement is essential in creating the technological capability, computational foundations, and workforce capacity to realize the vision of the NSCI. The Plan identifies the roles assigned to Federal agencies, and highlights ongoing and planned activities that will contribute to NSCI’s goals.