The Norwegian Government presented its National AI strategy in January 2020. The objective of the strategy is to outline the policy actions for the coming years in order to maximise the opportunities that AI can bring along for Norwegian individuals, for businesses and industry, and for the public sector. To achieve this outcome, the national AI strategy highlights the following policy initiatives:
- Expanding the offer of education programmes and workplace trainings in the field of AI in order to create a solid basis of digital skills and capabilities;
- Strengthening the Norwegian research in AI;
- Enhancing the innovation capacity in AI in both the private and public sector;
- Outlining ethical principles for AI in order to allow fair, reliable and trustworthy AI-related developments;
- Establishing digitalisation-friendly regulations as to define the legislative framework in which AI developments take place;
- Constructing a strong data infrastructure ensuring open data and data sharing across sectors and business areas. Dedicated opportunities for language data resources are established through The Norwegian language bank at the National library;
- Deploying a telecommunication infrastructure that provides high-capacity connectivity and computing power, and that ensures security in AI-based systems."