The Ghana Academy of Arts and Sciences was founded in 1959 on the initiative of Ghana’s first president, Osagyefo Dr Kwame Nkrumah.
The Academy’s objectives, partly reviewed over the years are:
- To promote the study, extension, and dissemination of knowledge of the arts and sciences
- To establish and maintain proper standards of endeavor in all fields of the arts and sciences
- To recognize outstanding contributions to the advancement of the arts and sciences in Ghana
- To contribute actively to the development of Ghana and Africa generally by examining and addressing crucial issues of development
- To do such other things as are conducive or incidental to the attainment of all or any of the foregoing objects.