The Department of Science & Technology (DST) was established in May 1971, with the objective of promoting new areas of science and technology and to play the role of a nodal department for organising, coordinating and promoting science and technology activities in the country. The DST is part of the Ministry of Science and Technology. The department has wide ranging activities ranging from promoting high end basic research and development of cutting edge technologies on one hand to service the technological requirements of the common man through development of appropriate skills and technologies on the other.
Affiliated bodies are
- the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB);
- the Technology Development Board (TDB);
- the National Council for Science and Technology Communication;
- the National Science and Technology Entrepreneurship Development Board.
- the National Innovation Foundation (NIF).