The University Grants Commission (UGC) was formally established in November 1956 as a statutory body of the Government of India through an Act of Parliament.
The UGC's mandate includes:
- Promoting and coordinating university education
- and maintaining standards of teaching, examination and research in universities
- Framing regulations on minimum standards of education
- Monitoring developments in the field of collegiate and university education
- Disbursing grants to the universities and colleges.
- Serving as a vital link between the Union and state governments and institutions of higher learning.
- Advising the Central and State governments on the measures necessary for improvement of university education.
The UGC is affiliated with the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD).