The Health Research Council of New Zealand (HRC) is a Crown agency of the New Zealand Government. It is responsible for managing the government's investment in health research for the public good. The HRC was established under the Health Research Council Act 1990.
The statutory functions of the HRC include:
- administering funds in relation to national health research policy
- advising the Minister of Health
- supporting health research and those engaged in health research in New Zealand
- undertaking consultation to establish priorities in health research
- promoting and disseminating the results of health research.