TNO, the Netherlands Organisation for applied scientific research, was founded by law in 1932 to enable business and government to apply knowledge. As an organisation regulated by public law, TNO is independent: not part of any government, university or company. TNO works on innovation in nine societal areas
- Buildings, Infrastructure & Maritime : 'Robust constructions, sustainable use'
- The Circular Economy and the Environment: 'Directing and accelerating sustainability'
- Defence, Safety and Security: ‘We’re putting our knowledge and technology to work for safety and security’
- Energy: ‘Faster towards a sustainable energy supply'
- Healthy living: ‘Focussing on participation, not on the disease’
- Industry: ‘Innovating for employment, welfare and well-being’
- Information & Communication Technology: 'Interpreting and accelerating digital transformation'
- Strategic Analysis & Policy: 'Turning complex issues into concrete innovations'
- Traffic and Transport: 'Helping to create liveable, sustainable cities'.