The Statistics Bureau and the Director-General for Policy Planning (Statistical Standards) of Japan play the central role in the official statistical system in producing and disseminating basic official statistics, and coordinating statistical work under the Statistics Act and other legislation.
We develop and disseminate relevant and reliable statistics, which systematically meet the needs arising from socio-economic changes, and provide them in a timely and proper manner. We strive to contribute to improvement in people's lives and the development of society and economy by providing support to the planning, formulation and evaluation of governmental policies, and assisting rational decision-making by individuals and businesses, and the pursuit of fundamental principles by academia.
We will continue to make every effort to improve the system of official statistics, bearing the following principles in mind, and taking into account the views of users and data providers:
- Providing objective and reliable statistics that are useful for society
- Disseminating statistics to various users in a user-friendly manner
- Taking all possible measures to protect respondents' confidentiality
- Always paying due attention to the burden on respondents
- Equipping ourselves with a high level of expertise to contribute to the development of censuses and statistical surveys in Japan and abroad
- Promoting systematic improvement of official statistics through the coordination of statistics by the Government.