The National Institute of Statistics (L'Institut National de la Statistique: INS) was created in 1969. It is a non-administrative public organization under the supervision of the Ministry Regional development and plan. It also represents a central organ in the national statistics system. According to its status, INS is managed by a governing board chaired by the INS Chief executive officer.
- Ensuring data gathering, processing and analysis as well as disseminating statistical information in coordination with the other public statistics organizations.
- Conducting censuses and demographic, social and economic surveys.
- Elaborating national accounts according to its different scopes (national, quarterly).
- Elaborating indicators for the business cycle and insuring the follow-up and the analysis of this cycle.
- Organizing national statistical documentation by gathering data issued by the organizations of the national statistics system.
- Ensuring technical coordination for public statistics activities.
- Ensuring a permanent secretariat for the Statistics National Council.
- Organizing international cooperation in the field of statistics.