Building on the impact of the Ocean Decade since its launch in January 2021, the Call aims to continue addressing thematic and regional gaps and to encourage transformative science to meet these critical and urgent Challenges.
As part of Challenge 6 – Coastal Resilience, the Call has a particular focus on Programmes that:
- demonstrate their contribution to knowledge and solutions related to green and grey resilience, including nature-based solutions and solutions that engage sub-national governments, or
- contribute to the expansion or development of innovative multi-hazard early warning systems.
To deliver on Challenge 8 – Digital Representation of the Ocean, the Ocean Decade is looking for Programmes that align with the following priorities:
- Fill known gaps in the identification, generation, or uptake of critical datasets, information or knowledge (e.g. deep sea, Small Island Developing States' (SIDS) Exclusive Economic Zones, Southern Ocean, high latitudes)
- Leverage or connect existing digital infrastructure (e.g. national and international systems)
- Develop long-term data management capacity, including technological capacity, and including in SIDS and Least Developed Countries (LDCs)
- Develop applications, services, tools, and mechanisms that deliver knowledge on Ocean Decade Challenges to users
As part of the Call, 25 endorsed Decade Programmes are also inviting Decade Project submissions. These Decade Programmes focus on a wide range of thematic priorities, such as marine life, ocean observations, tsunami readiness and capacity development.
Decade Contributions of in-kind or financial resources are also encouraged, specifically in relation to support for the operation of Decade Coordination Offices that will support the Decade’s efforts to enhance the sustainability and impact of data sharing and ocean observing.
Deadline for Submission of full applications for all Decade programmes and projects is 31 January 2023. Programmes that do not primarily contribute to Challenges 6 or 8 have to submit a Expression of Interest until 30 November 2022 (Submission deadline of full applications is also 31 January 2023)