A*STAR is Singapore’s lead public sector agency that spearheads economic-oriented research to advance scientific discovery and develop innovative technology.
The Biomedical Research Council (BMRC) oversees a number of research institutes (RIs) and research units that serve to support key industry clusters in Biomedical Sciences such as pharmaceuticals, medical technology, biotechnology and healthcare services (see list below).
The Science and Engineering Research Council (SERC) manages a number of research institutes (RIs) and state-of-the art centres and facilities with core competencies in a wide range of fields including communications, data storage, materials, chemicals, computational sciences, microelectronics, process manufacturing and metrology, to tackle global technological challenges and create future industries (see list below).
Every year A*STAR undertakes more than 1,700 industry projects with multinational companies, small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and large local enterprises. To create even greater value for businesses, a commercialization arm translates inventions and intellectual capital into marketable products, processes and services.
A*STAR has over 5,400 staff from over 60 countries. At the same time, A*STAR has been nurturing a vibrant community of local scientific talent, through fellowships and scholarships since 2001.
List of Biomedical Research Council (BMRC) Institutes:
- Bioinformatics Institute (BII)
- Bioprocessing Technology Institute (BTI)
- Clinical Imaging Research Centre (CIRC)
- Experimental Therapeutics Centre (ETC)
- Genome Institute of Singapore (GIS)
- Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology (IBN)
- Institute of Medical Biology (IMB)
- Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IMCB)
- Singapore Bioimaging Consortium (SBIC)
- Singapore Institute for Clinical Sciences (SICS)
- Singapore Immunology Network (SIgN).
List of Science and Engineering Research Council (SERC) Institutes and Centres:
- Data Storage Institute (DSI)
- Institute of Chemical and Engineering Sciences (ICES)
- Institute of High Performance Computing (IHPC)
- Institute for Infocomm Research (I²R)
- Institute of Materials Research and Engineering (IMRE)
- Institute of Microelectronics (IME)
- National Metrology Centre (NMC)
- Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology (SIMTech)
- Advanced Remanufacturing and Technology Centre (ARTC)
- Experimental Power Grid Centre (EPGC).